Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Receiving His Love

I once heard a woman tell her testimony where she described growing up in a Christian home and accepting Christ as a young girl. Time went on, she eventually got married, and moved away from her home town. And though she still believed in Christ she didn't have that close of a relationship with Him.

One evening she and her husband attended a Bible study led by a man who was with the Navigators. He taught with such authority and passion for the Lord. This woman could tell that he had a deep love for Jesus. After the study was over, she immediatly walked up to this man and said, "I want what you have." His reply was simple: "Get to know the Savior." And that brief answer started her on a journey towards a growing love for and knowledge of the Savior.

That story popped in my head late last night. Susan and I were blessed to be a part of the Dennis Jernigan praise night at ACU. Most of you probably know his story -- how the Lord delivered him from homosexuality 26 years ago and then gave him this amazing ministry of writing worship songs and leading worship events.

Near the beginning of last night's "concert," Dennis said, "You can either receive God's love or reject it. I thought, "Man, I want to receive His love. To let go of my controlling nature and abandon myself to Jesus."

The more Dennis sang, interspersed with words of encouragement and more of his testimony, the more I thought, "I want what He has -- such a passion for Jesus and awareness of how deeply Christ loves him...and even likes him."

After the praise time was over, Susan went home because she was tired. I hung out for awhile talking with a couple friends. As I noticed most of the folks being gone, I looked around and found myself next to a short line of people waiting to talk to Dennis and get their picture with him. I decided to stay a few minutes and thank him.

Not wanting to bother him much, I just gave him a hug and told him how much I appreciated his focus on the Lord and not himself. He seemed like just an ordinary guy -- which he is.

As I headed out of the auditorium and began walking to my car, I thought again of that story: "I want what you have." At first I wished that I said that to Dennis. Then it's as if the Holy Spirit said, "Just ask Me." And I did: "Lord, I want to know You more the way Dennis Jernigan knows you." All the way home I kept thinking about and enjoying, really, the love of Christ. As soon as I got home I opened up to this passage, which I had heard quoted on the Emmaus Walk last weekend:

Long ago the LORD said to Israel: “I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself. -- Jer. 31:3

"Get to know the Savior, " the Navigator guy told this woman. Last night we were certainly brought into the presence of our Savior. And it certainly lit a flame in my heart to just bathe in and be lavished by the love of Jesus more. And then to be a mighty instrument of His love to others.

HOW HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED THE LOVE OF CHRIST? WHAT HAS HELPED YOU "GET TO KNOW THE SAVIOR?"

Jim

1 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Neva said...

What a great post. When my husband was alive, he was a computer guru-many called him with computer questions. His first response was almost always, Did you read the book? I often thought that when folks really want to know the Savior, we should encourage them to "Read the book".
Good post
Peace and prayers
Neva

 

Post a Comment

<< Home