Tuesday, July 24, 2007

For Us

Last night Susan and I were having a somewhat heated conversation about money. Maybe not heated, but it did get a little warm. Though our son is about to graduate from college, our daughter has two more years. And we were "discussing" ways to help her get through her nursing program with the minimum amount of debt. I hate borrowing money. It doesn't bother Susan as much.

After several minutes of going back and forth about our opinions, it suddenly hit me --we weren't alone in this battle. Finding a solution to this problem wasn't all up to us. God's word promises us in 1 Peter 5:7 that He cares for us, and so we can "cast all (our) anxiety on him." We ended up praying together before going to bed, entrusting this financial challenge to the Lord -- who LOVES us.

Reading Romans 8 in the New Living Translation this morning was especially comforting. These verses in particular really ministered to my soul:

the Holy Spirit helps us in our distress.

the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will.

Since God did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t God, who gave us Christ, also give us everything else?

Who then will condemn us? Will Christ Jesus? No, for he is the one who died for us and was raised to life for us and is sitting at the place of highest honor next to God, pleading for us.

I need this reminder every day...every hour...every moment. Because Christ died and rose for me and His Spirit lives in me by faith, He is FOR me. He is pleading on my behalf to the Father. Wow! And He cares for all the details of our lives.

No problem is too big for Him -- not even paying for a daughter's college education.

Jim

5 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Blogger Tam said...

Jim,
I love the thought, "Cast your cares on him, he cares for you. Just give God all those worries. As with fishing sometimes we have to keep casting.
Not that he won't take them, we just keep taking them back. Sometimes I think I'm only comfortable if I have something to worry about. When you look back over the years, so many of those big worries were big only in our minds.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Tam said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Tam:

My dear friend, former co-worker and prayer partner Lou Seckler used to tell me, "Imagine throwing those worries on the Lord" -- as that casting a fishing line imagery portrays so well.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Susan Clark said...

Yes, we get in the habit of needing to worry. What should be normal for Christians is NOT to worry.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

"somewhat heated"..is that like you don't really want to commit to an all out argument..that's funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home