Thursday, July 19, 2007

Receiving

When we were on vacation visiting my extended family, I spent one morning making breakfast for everyone. This has been my annual tradition, where I make "wacky pancakes" for all the cousins -- pancakes in various shapes and sizes. We had fun when I put them on their plate and asked them to guess what they were.

The cousins are a lot older now, but they still look forward to "Uncle Jimbo's" pancake breakfast.

It is such a joy to give to others. As Jesus promised us, it really is more blessed to give than receive. But why is it that so often we have a hard time receiving? And what do we miss when we don't ask for help from others and receive? And how do we deny others a blessing when we don't receive from them?

I may have already told this story, but a tradition that I have at the Service Center is "fruit time." Around 3 P.M., I like to go slice up an apple or peel an orange and then go around to all the volunteers and offer them a piece. It's a small way of showing them my appreciation. And yet there is one person who never receives a piece of fruit from me. They usually say, "No, give it to someone else." They may not realize it, but it hurts me when they turn down this gift.

I've been walking through the book of Romans each morning lately and today I pondered this gem of Scripture:

"all who receive God’s wonderful, gracious gift of righteousness will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ." -- Rom. 5:17

Salvation is all about receiving what Christ has done for us on the cross. The good news is that we cannot do enough, be good enough or obey God enough to win His favor. Instead, we cast our souls on the mercy of Jesus Christ and ask Him to save us. And when we come to Jesus with penitent hearts and receiving hands, He gives us His gift of salvation.

And isn't our ongoing relationship with Christ one of receiving and not just giving? We receive His love each day. We receive the continual power of the Holy Spirit when we ask for His help. We receive His wisdom and guidance as we meditate on His word and then obey His voice.

I have a friend who told me lately that when a recurring emotional battle surfaced in his life again, he decided to not hide his problem this time. Instead, he let others know that he needed help. And he got it. People called him and sent him cards. Several Christian friends came by to pray for him. He admitted a need and as a result he RECEIVED encouragement from the body of Christ.

It just seems that we let the Lord work in our lives more when we not only give to others but are willing to also receive from them. Whether it's prayer, wise counsel or even a plate of pancakes.

Jim

3 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

receiving encouragement after admitting a need is Jesus in the flesh..admitting a need and not receiving encouragement is heartbreaking..

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

I am reading Ann Lamott's Tender Mercies and she talks about how her church reached out to her in her troubles. I thought it was poetic and beautiful how she worded it.."When I was at the end of my rope, the people at St. Andrew tied a knot in for me and helped me hold on."

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

I love that imagery of the knot in the rope.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home