Friday, March 03, 2006

Immersed in the goodness of God

More reflections on last week's retreat....

As you can see in the photo, the Pastors Retreat was held in a beautiful location -- at an old Mission in Oceanside, California. Needless to say, the flowers were gorgeous and the site was so peaceful.

Ruth Haley Barton was the main speaker. She wrote the book, Sacred Rhythms, which I bought and am thoroughly enjoying. Each chapter is on a different spiritual discipline (solitude, community, meditation on Scripture, etc). She weaves her journey throughout the book. I'm loving her book and highly recommend it!

On the second day, after lunch, Ruth sent us out on a four hour time of silence and solitude, where we each sought the face of God. At first I was a bit restless and didn't hear anything from Him. Took a nap briefly in my sparsely decorated bedroom. Walked around the grounds a bit, basking in the sun and fantastic weather. I was convicted that since I'm such an activist (translation: a bit addicted to busyness) I have a very hard time slowing down and doing nothing. Was reminded of the wise words of my friend, Albert Acosta: "Jim, it takes a lot of faith to take a day off. We have to surrender to God and give up trying to be in control."

About an hour and a half into this time of silence and solitude, I finally settled down in the conference room where no one else was there. I picked up Ruth's book and read a moving story where she described being overwhelmed with the goodness of God. She was on a flight from Chicago heading to Kansas City to speak at a retreat. Rather than reading and preparing for her classes, she instead began reflecting on how thankful to God she was. And for nearly all of the flight she basked in the goodness of God.

Wow! That was it! That was the moment where it seemed the Spirit of Christ woke me up from my slumber of not realizing how good He has been to me lately. Then I began journaling, listing all the things for which I thanked the Lord. I filled up seven pages and wrote down 28 different things! I felt immersed in the goodness of God, overwhelmed with what He has done in my life. And convicted in how I've griped about the few things that arent's so well in my life and overlooking all the blessings. I closed out this time (which lasted an hour or so) with these words (slightly edited):

Father, I have grieved You through my complaining spirit. Forgive me, dear Lord. Cleanse me of this sin and deliver me from this sinful attitude. I want to be a happy, grateful and contented follower of Chist! There's that word again - contentment! The world I believe You gave me for this entire year. How could I not be content with all the ways You have blessed me? Like the song says, "You have been good to me.!"

This morning I shared this story at our staff/volunteers devotional. And then I read these psalms which God gave me that day at the retreat:

"Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done." (Ps. 105:1)

"he saved them for his name's sake, to make his mighty power known." -- Ps. 106:8

Being blessed isn't all about me and my happiness. It's all about declaring the goodness of God and making Jesus famous!

You might try this practice some time. Get alone before the Lord for a long period of time and meditate on how good He has been to you and your family. Then go out and tell someone today!

May you be totally immersed in the goodness of the Lord this day...and forever!

A grateful man,

Jim

1 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Wow, I am in the middle of this hectic last semester of school and you know what sounds really good right now...4 hours of silence!
The picture is beautiful and those flowers are amazing. Every time I have gone to California I have been totally amazed at the flowers. There is one flower, agapantha?, that is so beautiful and its like everywhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home