Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Trusting God...in the Wilderness

During my quiet time this morning, a story in the book of Numbers triggered a 40 year old memory. Back in the 60's a few of my junior high buddies and I went to Oregon for a two-week camp. The highlight of that camp was a 6 day hike on the Skyline Trail, where we trekked up a beautiful mountain range, at times seeing snow in the middle of summer. We had two pack horses and two counselors who (most of the time) served as valuable guides. There was one day, however, when we weren't so sure if we were being led the right way. As we hiked along one steep trail flanked by a treacherous 45 degree drop, one of the pack horses slipped off the trail and tumbled down to the bottom of a ravine. At first we thought that was the end of the horse...and we all probably wondered who would carry the hundreds of pounds of equipment that the horse would carry.

The horse survived. Our counselors managed to pull him back on the trail and off we went. The rest of the day seemed endless. We hiked and we hiked and couldn't find a place to break camp. And we were all so hungry. Then came the grumbling. And the longing for food. A few of us daydreamed about food: "What if there was a hamburger place around the corner?" "I'd love to have a pizza right now."

The story in Numbers tells of God's people facing a much bigger challenge than what we young teenagers encountered in the mountains of Oregon. And their leader, Moses, had a lot more to handle than 20 boys and an injured horse. God's covenant people became tired of the manna and began lusting for the food back in Egypt. They longed for the proverbial "good old days." The days, of course, when they were in bondage and daily beaten by the Egyptians.

Before I become too critical of the Israelites and feel "holier than them," the Lord reminds me of how easily I slip into grumbling, self-pity and not trusting God when I go through my own wilderness. In the early 90's when I struggled with "underemployment" and an identity crisis when I couldn't find the work that I felt fit my gifts, I spent far too much time focusing on my problems and asking God to bail me out rather than letting Him change me and praising Him in the midst of the wilderness wandering.

I'm sure that many of you reading this post today are now in or have recently been in some sort of wilderness -- a parenting wilderness, or a marriage wilderness, or a financial wilderness or some other emotionally painful time in your life. It's so hard to keep trusting God and to resist a grumbling spirit when we're wandering around in our own desert, wondering why the Lord is allowing this to happen to us.

A few years ago when I worked at another job, I would get so discouraged and depressed at times -- whether it was frustration with my work, being challenged with raising teenagers, orfeeling distant from God. And I would share some of these battles with a couple co-workers and asked them to pray for me. I'll never forget the wise words of one co-worker: "Jim, stand on God's word. Cling to His promises." She knew deep in her heart how vital it was to keep taking God at His word, having gone through some wildernesses of her own.She raised four children by herself.

Whatever wilderness you and I have been facing, are presently facing or will be facing, I think that these words from the Lord to Moses will be a lamp to guide our way. After Moses questioned God in how He would provide meat that He promised to the million plus Israelites, the Lord tells him:

"Is there any limit to my power? Now you will see whether or not my word comes true!"

I'm wondering how Christ would change us in the midst of our own desert wanderings if we acknowledged each day how powerful He is, how much He loves us and that His promises really are true.

Whatever your wilderness you may be in today, I ask the Father to give you a fresh vision of His awesome power and that His daily manna of strength will fortify you and fill you with a deep sense of His loving presence.

Let's keep on walking....and trusting...and praising Him along the journey. The Promised Land is waiting us. And the One Whose promises are absolutely certain is ready to greet us and welcome His tired pilgrims home.

Jim

6 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Jim-
I find it incredible that you bring the subject of wilderness into your blog today. Just last night, in my prayer group, we were discussing wilderness. My friend Emily was leading us through the 40 Days of Prayer booklet she picked up at Highland. I am thankful that God uses times of wilderness to refine and redirect us toward His heart. His IS certainly present during seasons of wilderness, and for that I am eternally grateful:)

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Clint said...

"Now you will see whether or not my word comes true!"

Anticipation, Hope

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

I'm walking, Jim , I'm walking..

I went to Nelson Park today to study my math. Its a time of grumbling, for sure, then I drove down to the pond and saw white pelicans. I had never seen them before..they were beautiful. Someone had told me they lived here but I didn't believe them. I sat smiling, looking at those pelicans and thinking, how great is our God...He showed me white pelicans today.

Your son came into my office last night and gave me a hug. He's so precious.

thank you, Jim

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Lauren:

It's amazing how the Lord times things. I love your quote:

"God uses times of wilderness to refine and redirect us toward His heart." So well said. So true. I don't like the refining part. But o, how I need it. And how sweet to be carried closer to the heart of Jesus.

Jim

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Agent B said...

Thanks. I really needed that.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Beverly:

Your story about seeing the pelicans (in Abilene?) made me think of Gary Thomas' great book, Sacred Pathways. He spoke at ACU last week. The book describes how we tend to relate to God in different ways. Some from more of an intellectual perspective. Others through public worship. And others through NATURE. Sounds like you're wired towards the nature part. How cool.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home