Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Sovereign Lord...He's on Your Side!

This past weekend I joined about 150 others in a great workshop entitled, "What Every Church Member Should Know About Poverty." One of the stories the leader told us was about a 18 year old young man who was raised in poverty and yet had a chance to break from his past. On the last day before his graduation from high school, he decided to play a prank. He and a friend filled a large plastic Coke bottle with dry ice, filled it with some liquid, sealed it and shook it up, put it in the bathroom and ran. Within a few moments everyone heard a loud explosion in the men's room. They thought it was a bomb. When this boy was caught for playing this prank, he was punished by being put in a detention center for 120 days!

Our leader then said that if his son got in trouble like this, he could likely talk to the judge whom he knew. And his son would probably escape from doing any time in a detention center. His point was that the wealthy know people in positions of power, which is one more advantage they have over the poor.

This story came to me early this morning while I was reading Isaiah 49 - 50. The prophet talked a lot about his identity in the Lord and how powerful he felt because the Sovereign Lord was his strength. Wow! This is great stuff.

He has hidden me in the shadow of his hand. I am like a sharp arrow in his quiver.(49:2)

The LORD has honored me, and my God has given me strength (49:5)

Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for a child she has borne? But even if that were possible, I would not forget you! See, I have written your name on my hand. (49:15-16)

Susan told me of a big challenge she's facing this week where she needs to speak in front of some powerful people. And so right before getting in the shower I plopped down my Bible on the bathroom counter for her to read those passages. I underlined the verse for her to claim about the Sovereign Lord being her strength

Just think of this great promise to us who are in Christ: "if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you." -- Rom. 8:11

So, whatever challenge you're facing this week, this month or this year -- remember who you are in Christ. Try memorizing some of those verses in Isa. 49 and 50:

The Sovereign LORD has given me his words of wisdom, so that I know what to say to all these weary ones. Morning by morning he wakens me and opens my understanding to his will (50:4)

Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I will not be dismayed. Therefore, I have set my face like a stone, determined to do his will. And I know that I will triumph. (50:7)

It is the Sovereign LORD who helps me. Who is he that will condemn me? (50:9)

You might type some of these verses on an index card. Tape it to your bathroom mirror. Put it in your purse or wallet. Post it on the corner of your computer monitor. And speak these promises out loud. Claim your identity in Christ. The Sovereign Lord is behind you, He is in you, He is for you.

Whatever battle or challenge you're facing this week or in this season of your life, remember this: you don't just have people in high places watching over you. Through Jesus Christ, you have the greatest power in the universe on your side. And He loves you and is ready to fight your battles. So that His Name will be praised.

In the shadow of His hand,

Jim

2 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Thank you for this post! It really helps me to know that our Lord goes before, behind, and beyond. I don't have any reminders of His truth on my mirror or in my car, but I have plastered them all over my bathroom door, above my bed, and on the door to my bedroom. This, I believe is so powerful! It reminds me that I can go out in faith!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

That's great, Lauren. You can see the word of God and His promises all around you. I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home