Monday, September 25, 2006

No Fear!

In the midst of a very busy weekend, I found the time to read most of the new Time Magazine. Sitting out on our porch yesterday afternoon on an absolutely gorgeous day, I read the story about the new Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. He's the one that said that the U.S. and Israel should be wiped off the face of the earth. The article gave a very chilling description of why Iran is such a threat to us and the nation of Israel. And how our president, military leaders and diplomats are in such a quandary as to what to do with Iran. The writer projected a scenario of what it would be like if our country went to war against Iran and all the likely fallout of such a war -- including having our oil prices skyrocketing and all sorts of retaliation by this regime. It really was a frightening article to read.

It's so interesting to see the parallel between these threats from Iran and what I've been reading lately in my quiet times. My One Year Bible schedule has me in the book of Isaiah. In chapters 42, 43, etc. I read of Israel back in the 500 B.C. era being threatened by the bullies of the world at that time -- Assyria and Babylon. Through his prophet Isaiah, the Lord tells His covenant people over and over that He is in charge, He is sovereign and that if His people would turn to Him and trust Him they have nothing to fear from these international thugs. I love these words from the Lord, declaring His sovereignty:

But now, O Israel, the LORD who created you says: “Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.

For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior...you are precious to me. You are honored, and I love you. -- Isa 43: 1-3, 4b (emphasis mine)

It really can be frightening if I think too much about Iran's leadership and hate for our country and Israel, their apparent plans to develop nuclear weapons and all the oil they have. And yet when I read in Isaiah these proclamations from our Sovereign God I'm reminded that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad does not have ultimate power. He will not have the final say -- Almighty God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, has the final say!

And I need to hear those words of comfort from the Lord when I face my daily fears and worries. He tells all of us who are His New Israel in Christ:

Let all the world look to me for salvation! For I am God; there is no other. - Isa 45:22

Yes, Father, I look to you. I believe that through Jesus there is no threat that can take away my relationship with You. Not Iran. Not a terrorist. Not death itself. For You have conquered death through the cross and resurrection. And You are sovereign and are coming back one day to establish that new heaven and new earth. Come Lord Jesus!

In the meantime, please help us to keep trusting You, magnifying You through the way we live and proclaiming every day that You are God and there is no other. We believe that through You we need not fear man -- even this new tyrant in Iran who will one day be gone. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen.

Jim


4 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Fear not, for the LORD is with you!

To remain in the body is to serve Him, to die is to be with Him, Paul says. [Kathy's translation. ;) ]

If God is with us, who can [successfully] go against us??

And the tough kicker says, "Fear is the absence of Faith."

Woops, I really need to be careful that my earthly life doesn't become so precious to me that I fear death, which I think is NOT painful, at least for Believers.

Dear LORD, let me not try to 'save my earthly life' and thereby forget how precious is my eternal life with You.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Kathy, for your sweet words of faith and prayer.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Tailpipe Terry said...

A big Jerry Taylor AMEN! Thanks for this lesson Jim. It's so easy to get caught up in fear and despair from all directions except to right direction. (that would be from above)
Enjoyed spending part of Saturday with you also. Time well spent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home