Thursday, March 22, 2007

Imago Dei


Three years ago I was in New York City for a conference. Before attending the event, I had an entire afternoon free. It was a gorgeous fall day in upper Manhattan. I love being free in that city to go where ever I want to. What site did I choose? The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Just looking at the outside, with its beautiful buildings and large number of steps (dotted with people basking in the sun) is a treat. And yet what amazing artistic treasures await those who have a few hours to look.

One of the most fascinating permanent exhibits to me was all the armour and weapons used in battle during the medieval times. After spending about 45 minutes gazing at these items I was struck with the desire within man to be creative. Every knife, sword, horse armor and shield was inscribed with some sort of decoration. Many of them had very elaborate artwork graved into the metal. It hit me that people can't but help express their creativity.

Last summer Susan and I went to Chicago for our 25th anniversary. One of the highlights was going on the architecture tour up the Chicago River. As the docent described the history of each building and what architect designed it, once more I saw before me the creativity of mankind. These buildings could have been merely utilitarian. Why must they all be so different with uniquely designed exteriors. Again, man is bursting with this urge to create something beautiful.

Don't we all feel this urge? Whether it's to try a new recipe (like my wife loves to do and does so well), learn to paint, take photos, or write an article or book -- we all want to create in some way. And we get so much satisfaction out of this process. The photo above was taken at a Catholic retreat center in Oceanside, California. I was walking the grounds one morning before our first session. Accenting the man-made buildings was God's handiwork, such as these gorgeous flowers. I loved the beauty of the place and enjoyed so much photographing different scenes there.

Yesterday I glanced at the back page of a church leadership magazine and saw a fascinating photo of a walking stick. No, not the kind to help an elderly person get around. I'm referring to thse bent-legged insect that God created. The article said, "entomologists have identifed mroe than one thousand species of walking sticks. That borders on creative overkill, but it reaveals something about the personality of God." It is part of the Imago Dei -- God's image. And as Scripture says, you and I are made in that image.

So, when you feel that creative bent and want to express it, go for it. And recognize that it is the Lord God who built this tendency into the DNA of each of us. The Christian Olympic runner once said, "When I run, I feel His pleasure." I believe that we love to create so much because when we do so, we’re tapping into the very nature of God. Those who don’t know Christ feel it just as much as we do. But the advantage for the Christ-follower is that we can create with the consciousness that He is the One who gives us this soul joy and whatever creative activity we engage in we can thank Him and give Him all the glory.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

you know what I love about Manhattan..the people..I love to watc h the people. Now that is artwork..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home