Friday, April 13, 2007

Managing His Money

One of the highlights of my past year has been when my son, Aaron, and I had the privilege of attending Byron Nelson's funeral. This grand old golfer of 94 died of natural causes after leaving behind a tremendous legacy -- and not just because he once won 11 tournaments in a row. At the funeral, Byron was remembered most as a man who loved and honored Jesus Christ, and set an amazing example of generosity.

I read in the paper this morning that the golf tournament he hosted in Dallas for nearly 40 years has been the largest charity fund-raiser on the PGA tour. Over $94 million has been given to charities through this tournament.

Right after reading this story today I read another story, this time told by Jesus. At first glance, it seemed to me such an odd story -- learning lessons of money management from a shrewd manager who made friends by giving breaks to his master's debtors. But Jesus says that we can learn from the shrewdness of "the citizens of this world." I especially pondered these words of Jesus that immediately follow this story:

I tell you, use your worldly resources to benefit others and make friends. In this way, your generosity stores up a reward for you in heaven. -- Luke 16:9

That's exactly what Byron Nelson did. And his legacy of generosity to those in need continues to impact others. I think also of a Christian business friend in Dallas who has done very well financially and yet has kept his perspective about his wealth. He has blessed so many ministries, including his leadership on the board of a Christian university. Now he is semi-retired. He told me last year that he and some other business leaders in Dallas who are believers are exploring ways to help the poor more.

Yet there are others I know that live in modest homes and drive older cars who have been tremendous stewards of the money God has entrusted to them. Some of them have given large checks to this ministry. I thank the Lord for how they have used "worldly resources to benefit others." Great is their reward in heaven.

Whom do you know that have been wise stewards of the Lord's resources entrusted to them? They may not be as high profile as Byron Nelson was. And yet if they faithfully have given to others in need, in quiet and unassuming ways, they are champions in the kingdom of God. I want to be like them, out of love for the Father and because of His goodness to me.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Neva said...

Jim,
I don't know anybody who is like that but I know I want to be like that. Thanks for the encouragement. Still praying for your ministry

Peace
neva

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks for your prayers, Neva. I need it as I ask the Lord to anoint this ministry.

And yes, I want to be like Byron was, as he was like Christ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home