Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Men and Their Emotions

As the rest of our country is, I am so overwhelmed with sadness over the massacre at Virginia Tech. I grieve for those parents who suddenly lost their precious children at the hands of this angry gunman.

In this morning's paper and on the web news sites, there's lots of discussion about the alleged killer, Cho Seung-Hui. He was described as a "shy, quiet type seething with rage at unspecified tormentors." (Foxnews.com) In a creative writing class, his professor referred Seung-Hui to the counseling center because of the violent images in the papers he wrote.

His story prompted me to think of men and their emotions. How we men often handle our emotional struggles so poorly, at times at the terrible expense of others -- as we witnessed this week in Blacksburg, VA.

While I was working out in the gym on the day of this national tragedy, I read an article in Newsweek about men and depression. It mentioned how depression has seemed to be more of a problem with women than men. However, researchers are sensing this statistic to be skewed since men are much less likely to admit they're depressed than are women. We men tend to be lone rangers, wanting to tough it out and not admit weakness and struggles.


In my own experience, and in ministering to many people over the years who have battled depression, I've found that the blues are often caused by a lack of processing anger appropriately. On and off for several years I've had bouts of depression. So often I couldn't understand why. But in retrospect, it seemed to often be caused by frustration and anger that I had not talked about with others. Rather, I just stuffed it.

In 2003 I was out of work for nearly 5 months. It was extremely frustrating and a bit scary. I remember one time when we came home from church and I blew up at my family for a minor incident. After apologizing to them and asking for forgiveness, I thought later, "Where did all that anger come from?" Probably from some pent up frustration and pain over not yet finding a job. Like so many other men, I made the mistake of living in denial about my anger and trying to push through it on my own instead of talking it through and praying about it with others.

What a different world it would be if we men would be honest about our emotions and seek help -- either through a counselor, a close male friend or a small group -- in admitting the depression, anger, lust or whatever else is boiling inside of us. And then let Jesus heal our emotional pain and channel this energy in positive directions.

How much pain and tragedy could be prevented if men sought healthy ways to process and defuse these volatile emotions. Rather than letting the devil take over us in our rage, what a difference we'd make in our families and work relationships if we men allowed Jesus Christ to control our emotions.

I think that a world of men with Spirit-controlled emotions would be one with much more peaceful families. Better work places. And less tragedies like we witnessed with horror at Virginia Tech.

Jim

8 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Jim-
I believe you are right. We could do so much better if we were transparent with our emotions and concerns. Our society and our church have not made that an easy task, however. Sharing with your close brothers and sisters that you are angry or that you struggle with a sin can be risky. I have some good friends who have had addiction and adultery in their lives, and when they confessed and asked for help, their church friends abandoned them in droves. Our biggest difficulty might be that we use a graduated sin scale-- some sins are bigger than others, dirtier, meaner. Some have more earthly consequences, for sure, but God forgives one sin as easily as another, and sometimes we do not. For us to confess our struggles openly, we want to know our friends and church family won't condemn us or run away screaming. Our fear (sometimes justified) is that they will not respond as we hope and we will lose our friendships or be rejected. How sad and destructive that the church does so poorly at sharing the grace we have received. We have much to learn.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Deb said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Thanks for this post, Jim. I agree so much with what G'ampa C writes, as well as your compelling thoughts.

Sadly, the church has not been a safe haven for those of us who have gone through tough times -- be it depression, as you mention, adultery, divorce, addictions (not just drug), disappointment, death, and God help the gay people in our midst! -- the list is daunting and unending. It would seem the 'brethren and sistren' just cannot shake images of each of us during the weaker moments of our journey. During the path of our pilgrimage where we work on forgiving ourselves when others will not, and through the slow process of reparation and the rebuilding of our lives, church friends are less than encouraging and sceptical -- not sure whether they can fully validate our redeemed lives honestly. A relative of mine who you knew well is a case in point. Everyone in the church and at ACU was so willing to climb on board with that person in 'close association' during the years that person held 'celebrity' status in the ranks of the CofC ministry, but when the pedestal was crushed so many people ran and have never looked back. Sometimes it is hard for the crowd to see all the good through the atmosphere created by the dust and density from the stone-throwing. Or better yet, just sweep everything under the church family carpet and carry on in silence! Everyone loves the view from the top of the pedestal. Few enjoy clearing the shards away and starting afresh when the pedestal and its occupant come crashing down. Those who stay behind to help break the fall, or rally round to pick up the pieces and assist during the rebuild are indeed few, but true, friends. That’s a picture of a real, healing community, modelled on so many examples shown by Jesus.

It is even difficult for me to feel completely comfortable whenever I come back to Abilene because it seems people will always only see and remember me as the person I was 30 years ago, or in 1990, when I returned, broken. I have little chance of survival in the kingdom they've set up. (ACU loves success stories, but they're not too vocal or ecstatic with struggling alumni in their presence, at least in my experience.)

Sad.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Deb-
Wouldn't you love to know what Jesus wrote in the dirt when the Jews were preparing to stone the woman taken in the act of adultery? Hmmm.
I have some dear friends at ACU who are truly the salt of the earth, but I have had a brush or two with others...
If and when you come back to Abilene, fret less about ACU and come spend your Sundays with us... not perfect, but saved, anyway.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Deb-
PS-
I have some ACU alumni friends that you should meet, who would change your opinion for some, anyway. There are some I love with all my heart, and they are wonderful, grace-filled people who reflect Jesus. I wish you could know them as I do.

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Deb said...

Thanks, G'ampa C, might take you up on that offer!

My husband and I were there in November. We visited your church with my parents who attend there. Usually we go to class with them. But that Sunday thought we would try one where I saw some old friends gather. Perhaps it was the day: I was so excited to be back in the USA after several years away, in a familiar church I have grown up in, seeing some familiar faces I loved dearly -- all dear people who have been God‘s blessings in my pilgrimage. Instead I felt like a total stranger. No one came up to even speak to my husband, who is English. Guess that class is more exclusive than I thought, and I wasn‘t prepared to feel so disconnected. But when we went to the worship, I ran into Jim, and later we briefly got to see Susan and some other wonderful 'old' friends, who are all so lovely. We all knew each other from ACU.

We will be visiting again in May/June. Perhaps we can meet you, and hopefully see Jim and Susan again, for a bit longer -- maybe even a meal! Maybe you could at least steer us to a Sunday school class that doesn't mind including visitors.

I really appreciate your encouragement and kind words. Guess sometimes when we 'go home', we drag along certain expectations and are reminded when we see others of certain regrets we haven't really shaken off (i.e., 'Why didn't I get that MM or DMA, and why aren't I holding a tenured university post by now?'), no matter how forgiving God in his mercy, through others, can be. To be fair, perhaps my expectations of others are grander than they should be. And sometimes it is brutal to see how much things -- buildings, friends’ lives, church communities -- have changed and realise I wasn’t actually there during the metamorphoses.

Thanks again. :)

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Deb said...

G’ampa C --

PS: I have ALWAYS wondered what Jesus wrote in the sand. How did you know?!? Another item I’ve added to my list of things to ask when I get to Heaven! :)

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

GReat to read this exchange.

I'm just wondering -- is one reason why blogs are so popular because one can tend to share what's really on their heart, while they don't feel that safe in the presence of others?

How could church be more like a blog community? Maybe we feel safer in cyber-world than in our own Bible class?

G-ampa C, you're so on target. If we don't feel like we'll be accepted if we tell others what's really going on in our lives, why take the risk? And thus, there are so many lonely people in church, dying let others know the "real me."

That's why I love when we have testimony time and let others share their story -- the good, bad and the ugly -- in class or even from the pulpit at times. We don't feel so alone or unusual when we hear other believers share the same struggles and sins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home