Monday, April 16, 2007

Something More

Every once in a while I come across a used copy of a Catherine Marshall book. And whenever I read her books they always feed my soul. One of her books is called Something More, where she describes how she experienced more of Christ and the fullness of the Spirit.

I must admit that at times I am really hungry to receive "something more" from Christ, to know Him better, as 2 Peter 1 says. And yet there are other times when I just want to put life on auto-pilot and resist changing and live life on my terms. It's the old battle with the flesh which I need to keep resisting.

For several weeks I had heard about this Wild at Heart men's conference that was going to be hosted by the Beltway church. I had some ambivalent feelings about going -- feeling that I "should" go, but thinking that I had "been there, done that" since I had read the book and gone through the videos with my men's group at Highland.

I decided to take my wife out on Friday night, especially since she told me she could really use a date after a tough week. It turned out to be a wise decision.

Come Saturday morning, I felt this pull to attend the second half of the men's conference and I'm so glad I did. One of the highlights was a 30 minute segment where the speaker asked us to be still before the Lord and ask Him to come into our hearts to heal and cleanse us. It was a powerful moment of hearing the Lord speak to me. When I brought up several issues in my life that have bothered me or held me back, with each issue He brought to mind a certain passage of Scripture.

I truly needed something more from the Lord. And I pray that all of us will be continually open to His voice, allowing Jesus to continue entering every part of our lives and transforming us. And then sending us out in His strength so that hopefully others will such a change in us that they, too, will want something more from the Lord.

Jim

5 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Jim-
It was good to see you there Saturday. Isn't it amazing how God prepares what we need before we know we need it?

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Neva said...

You know He wants "something more" from us, too? I have been amazed how patient He is--
I am still praying for your ministry

Peace
Neva

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Yes, G'ampa C, the Lord is amazing.

Neva. Great point. Jesus wants ALL of us. Reading today in Luke, the story of the rich man who went away sad because he apparently didn't want to "give it all up for Jesus," reminded me of my need to treasure Christ above all -- even my precious family. He certainly deserves our all, doesn't He.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Neva said...

Jim
I have found that story so interesting. I have often pondered two things about it. One, Mark says that Jesus "looked at him and loved him"---not He felt compassion but that He loved him. And the part about "one thing you lack". and "then come follow me." Most of the others were told to go home and tell noone or show yourself to the priest, but not this one. I don't know exactly what I think about them but I know I think about those things, often.
Any thoughts?

Peace and prayers
Neva

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Neva:

The word that came to mind when I read this story is "attachments." Jesus knew that this rich man was deeply attached to his riches. Was that the "one thing?"

Isn't this why Jesus said we cannot love father, mother, children, etc. more than Him? Because things of this world -- including our precious relationships -- can become detriments to putting Christ first if we let them become the main thing, rather than allowing Jesus to the primary allegiance of our lives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home