Monday, April 23, 2007

My Kind of Memorial Service

Last Saturday I was privileged to participate in one of the most touching, Spirit-filled memorial services I've ever witnessed. Rarely do I speak at a funeral and so my point of view has been from the audience. But this time I was asked to read the eulogy, and see the reaction of others throughout the service. It was for a precious sister in Christ, Camille Rhodes, who left this world after a short battle with cancer at such a young age -- 47.

Her husband, Bill, planned the service and did a tremendous job. It was all focused on Jesus and worshipping Him. Laid on the table at the front of the sancturay were several symbols of Camille's faith in Christ -- her Bible, a cross, a box with a ring with the names of Jesus on it, a wall hanging with the simple word, "Faith." In between several praise songs, Mike Cope picked up one of the symbols, read a Scripture and then commented on the hope Camille has in Christ.

Throughout the service the audience was asked several times if they affirmed the same faith that Camille had. I loved to hear the Amens when I said, "If anyone here also believes that salvation comes from Christ alone, say "Amen." Camille preached the gospel to us through her life and testimony. And the Lord Jesus was glorified.

I pray that my memorial service will do the same.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger Neva said...

Sounds beautiful---how the heavens must have rejoiced to welcome home one of their own.

Thank you for sharing this
Peace
neva

 

Post a Comment

<< Home