Tuesday, April 24, 2007

In Whom Will I Trust

Before I have my quiet time each morning, I go through this routine of grinding coffee beans,

brewing coffee, making a bowl of Puffed Wheat or Cheerios, and pouring a glass of orange juice.

Then I settle into my favorite chair in the living room and enjoy 30 minutes or more of peaceful

reading, contemplation and praying. However, I must confess that before I open up my Bible I

scan the sports page. I also read an article or two in the business section.

This morning's commentary by the personal finance guru, Scott Burns, contained some very

sobering information about the U.S. economy. He quotes from two economists who have

recently analyzed our government's unfunded liabilities. Translation? We're plunging into debt

not just because of the Iraq war but primarily because of Social Security and Medicare.

Especially Medicare. Sorry to share the gloom, but here are a few of their findings:


1. There are $72.9 TRILLION in unfunded liabilities of Social Security and Medicare.

2. Paying for these promised benefits would require an immediate increase of taxes of 14.4 %

And yet that tax increase would likely not be collectable, because so many people would go

underground in their work.

3. The primary cause of this massive national financial crisis can be attributed to one program

- Medicare.


Burns writes that if we think these two economists are alarmists, he reminds us that the

trustees of Social Security and Medicare have given estimates that are $10.9 trillion higher.

As I read this troubling forecast of our country's future, I got a bit nervous. I know how grateful

the elderly are for the coverage they receive. One gentleman told me recently that he received a

bill for $13,000 for a three day stay in the hospital – but thankfully Medicare paid for it all. Yet I

know that as we baby boomers hit the Medicare rolls, it's likely that our country can handle the

financial burden of caring for our health as it fails.

I get nervous, because I know that if the Lord allows me to live another 10 years or more, I'll

need Medicare -- but will it be there? That's why it's so important to not just read the paper in

the morning! I need to mainly be in God's Word and read His promises and claim them.


Reading Psalm 93 was a great antidote to the angst I experienced from reading Scott Burn's

words:

The LORD is king! He is robed in majesty. Indeed, the LORD is robed in majesty and armed with strength. The world is firmly established; it cannot be haken…Your throne, O Lord, has been established from time immemorial. You yourself are from the everlasting past. -- Ps. 93:1-2


As grateful as I am for all the blessings of this country, I know that I
cannot and must not put my ultimate trust in America and our government. Reading that article and then this Psalm brought me to this sobering reality.

Jim











4 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger Steve said...

AMEN.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Neva said...

Our only assurance is that God will provide.
Your ministry is in my prayers
Neva

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks so much for your prayers, Neva. I really need them, we really need them.

If you would, please pray about our May 5 board retreat. We're praying about and looking at a new vision for this ministry. And of course we want the Lord to lead the way. This is our second retreat and we're building upon the first one, hopefully moving toward some action steps.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Neva said...

Done, my friend

Peace
neva

 

Post a Comment

<< Home